Friday, February 11, 2011

Laughter is the Best Medicine


Ben working late hours during tax season does have one benefit, and that's that I get to spend more time with my girlfriends without the nagging, guilty feeling I usually have when I go out on a ladies' night and leave Ben at home to be tied up and gagged by our children. That being said, last night I had another opportunity to revive my sanity by seeing Parenting 101: The Musical at the Kimmel Center... the first musical I've ever seen there. What a gorgeous building! I remember being inside of it when I worked at Ecolab, because they used to be one of my accounts, but it was first time being inside for pleasure. If you have children, you would find this musical to be absolutely hysterical. Now I'm a person that tends to laugh at everything, but honestly, I haven't laughed like that in a while. (ladies' nights excluded because I laugh a ton at those) Basically the show was about parenthood starting with labor pains and ending with empty nesters. Of course, we missed the first 25 minutes because it took me forever to get the kids ready to get ready for bed, but that was like the perfect introduction into what the whole show was about.... the trials and tribulations of parenthood. Each skit used a well known pop song or show tune to perfectly compliment different situations parents go through on a daily basis, like the loss of a family pet, siblings fighting, older siblings ruining Santa Claus for their younger siblings, sex (and the lack there of), moms being supermoms, dads overreacting at their kids' sporting games, the list goes on and on. Now, we were the youngest people in the audience, but I would definitely recommend for parents of all ages... I know Ben would have liked it had he been able to go. I might even go again with him, that's how good it was! If you have a chance to check it out, I would go for it.... you will laugh your ass off, the cast (only 4 people) is truly gifted and I guarantee you will have a great time. The theater it's in is small, so it's very intimate and there's not a bad seat in the house.

If I had to pick one of my favorite skits (and this is really hard because a lot of them are so funny) I would have to say it's a tie between "My children are kung fu fighting" (a brother and sister going at it) and the skit where the dad is having so much difficulty putting his kids' toys together... I can't remember the song it went to, though. It just reminded me of when I took 2 hours to put together Nathan's Kinex roller-coaster for Christmas, only to have it torn down within 2 days. Hahahaha.


No comments: